BDOC Response to COVID-19

Posted Wednesday 18th March 2020. Last updated Wednesday 1st April 2020.

All official training activities at BDOC will be suspended from Monday 23rd March until Monday 27th April (inclusive), in accordance with advice received from Dogs ACT.

Canine companion classes will still be held this week (Thursday 19th March and Sunday 22nd March), but we urge our members to use their discretion and common sense when deciding whether to attend classes. Dog sport classes may be held this week, please refer to your sport’s Facebook page or email your dog sport rep.

If you do attend classes this week, please practice good hygiene, maintain appropriate social distancing (1.5m) while on club grounds. Please do not attend the club grounds if you are feeling unwell, or if you are aware that you have had contact with someone who has been diagnosed with the COVID-19 virus.

This suspension of training activities also means that the start of Session 2 will be postponed. At this stage we are aiming to commence Session 2 on Thursday 30th April and Sunday 3rd May, but this will be dependent on advice received from the government, Dogs ACT, and also on the availability of instructors. Dogs ACT have stated that they will provide an update to their members and affiliates by Monday 27th April, and we will advise our members of any changes to this plan as soon as we are able.

All new members for Session 2 can be assured that they will have their spot reserved for when we are able to commence Session 2.

In order to ensure that we can still get through five sessions this year, we have reduced the length of each session to 7 weeks. Assuming that classes resume as planned, the session start dates will be as follows:

  • Session 2: Thursday 30th April and Sunday 3rd May
  • Session 3: Thursday 2nd July and Sunday 5th July
  • Session 4: Thursday 20th August and Sunday 23rd August
  • Session 5: Thursday 15th October and Sunday 18th October

Due to the change in session dates, we have also pushed back the opening of applications for Session 3. If you are hoping to enrol for Session 3, please note that we will begin accepting applications for Session 3 from the beginning of Session 2.

BDOC regrets any inconvenience caused by the suspension of our training activities. As a community organisation we are committed to upholding the health and wellbeing of our volunteers, our members, and our community. We would like to encourage our members to be mindful of their own health and wellbeing in the current stressful situation, and to be kind to each other.

As you would be aware, this is a developing health emergency and this advice may change. We are committed to providing our membership with any relevant updates that will affect access to our club grounds and classes in a timely fashion.

The BDOC Office will also be closed during this period, but email channels will continue to be monitored. If you contact us by email, please be patient as our volunteers are also dealing with extra pressures in their work and home lives.